The Electricity Company of Ghana is a limited liability Company wholly owned by the Government of Ghana. The Electricity Company of Ghana Limited (ECG) was incorporated under the Companies Code, 1963 (Act 179) in February 1997. It began as the Electricity Department on 1st April 1947 responsible for distribution power in the entire country and later became the Electricity Division in 1962. It was subsequently converted into the Electricity Corporation of Ghana by (NLCD 125)in 1967.
In 1987, the Northern Electricity Department (NED) was established under the Volta River Authority (VRA), to take over from ECG, the responsibility of electric power distribution in Northern part of Ghana.
Since then ECG has been responsible for distribution of electricity in six political/administrative regions in southern Ghana namely, Ashanti, Central, Eastern, Greater Accra, Volta and Western Region.
THE PROVISION OF ELECTRICITY BEFORE THE BUILDING OF THE VOLTA DAM AT AKOSOMBO
The first government-sponsored public electricity supply in the country commenced in the year 1914 at Sekondi. It was operated by the Railway Administration which extended supply to Takoradi in 1928.
Meanwhile, the Public Works Department had commenced a limited Direct Current (DC) supply in Accra during the year 1922, this was immediately followed by a large Alternating Current (AC) project which commenced on 1st November, 1924.
A small plant consisting of three horizontal single cylinder oil-powered engines was installed in Koforidua in 1925 and opened by the Honorable William Omsby-Gore on 1st April 1926. Also in 1926, work commenced on the task of providing electric lighting and power to Kumasi. A restricted evening supply commenced in May 1927, and a power station was brought into full operation on 1st October 1927.
In the same year DC supply was installed at Winneba but this was subsequently changed to AC by extending an existing supply from Swedru. During the period 1929-30, a limited electricity supply was extended to Tamale until a new AC plant was installed in 1938.
The next power station to be established was Cape Coast which came into being in 1932.Subsequent to its takeover by the Electricity Department from the Public Works and Railways on 1st April, 1947. A power station at Swedru was commissioned in 1948.
This was followed by the installation of generating plants at Oda, Dunkwa and Bolgatanga in 1948. On 27th May, 1949, an electricity supply was made available at Nsawam through the building of an 11000 volt overhead transmission line from Accra. The Keta supply which was included in the programme was delayed by staff difficulties and was not commissioned until 1955.
The Tema power station was commissioned in 1956 with a 3x650 kW generating set. The Ho power station followed in 1957. From 1961-64. The Tema Station was extended to a maximum capacity of 35,298 kW, thus, making it probably the biggest single diesel-powered generating station in Africa. It is also on record that in 1963 the Electricity Division brought into operation the first 161,000 volts transmission system in Ghana, which was used to carry power from the Tema Power Station. At its peak in 1965, about 75 percent of the power was used in Accra.
1. To transmit, supply and distribute electricity.
2. To purchase electrical energy in bulk (from VRA) or any other supplier for distribution.
3. To construct, reconstruct, install, assemble, repair, maintain, operate or remove sub-transmission stations, electrical appliances, fittings and installations.
4. To execute and supervise national electrification programmes on behalf of Government .
5. To carry out any other activity incidental or conducive to the attainment of the objectives above.